With the Fall Season in full swing the New Year will be on us before you know it! January is a very important month for financial aid. Starting January 1st, 2015 the 2015-2016 Free Application for Federal Student Aid or FAFSA will be available online at www.fafsa.gov. The FAFSA is every college student’s application for federal student aid and is required by Cumberland or institutional scholarships as well. If you are a Tennessee resident then the FAFSA is the application for the Lottery Hope Scholarship and the Tennessee Student Assistance Award.
Filling out the 2015-2016 FAFSA will allow a student to apply for federal aid like the Pell Grant or Stafford loans. Most families need some type of financial aid to go to school and this is the first step to making that happen. Financial aid is usually awarded on a first-come, first-served basis so getting your FAFSA done early can mean more money for you to go to school. So even though you feel like you just started your last year of high school and next fall is a log way off, it is a great time for you to get your information together and be ready to apply for financial aid in January! Below you will find a list of some of the information that you will need to fill out your 2015-2016 FAFSA according to the FAFSA website:
To complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you will need:
- Your Social Security Number
- Your Alien Registration Number (if you are not a U.S.citizen)
- Your most recent federal income tax returns, W-2s, and other records of money earned.
- Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable)
- Records of untaxed income (if applicable)
- A Federal Student Aid PIN to sign electronically (If you do not already have one, visit www.pined.ed.gov to obtain one)
- If you are a dependent student, then you will also need most of the above information for your parent(s)
- Cumberland’s School Code: 003485
For more information about the FAFSA and what you need to complete it check out the website at www.fafsa.gov. Completing the FAFSA online is the best way for you to start your application for federal and state aid. Mark your calendar now for January 1st, 2015 and start your journey off on the right foot! If you need help filling out your FAFSA or understanding some of the questions the Student Financial Services staff is here to help! We can be reached by calling (615) 547-1399 or by email at email@example.com. If you live in the area and want to stop by the SFS office is open from 8:00 am to 4:30 Monday through Friday, and is located in room 2013 of Memorial Hall.